Curly hair is beautiful! Today, I’m obsessed and can’t image going back to the days when I straightened my hair. However much you love your curly hair, it can be quite challenging to care for if you’re newly embracing your curls. I transitioned a few years ago, and over the years have picked up some great tips and tricks to help you get into a perfect hair care routine with your curly hair.
Among my top tips, I’ll share benefits of using coconut oil for hair care and how to change up your daily routine to keep your curly hair looking and feeling healthy. Let’s jump into it!
Your daily curl care routine
If you’re looking for ways to take care of your curly hair on a daily basis, I’ve got you covered. Here are things you should be doing every day to care for your hair.
- Start using coconut oil for hair conditioning. Conditioning your curls every day is an important way to maintain your natural oils and nutrients. Coconut oil also works well to detangle your hair, so try rubbing it into the ends of your curls before combing out your hair.
- Refresh with a spritz of water. Washing your hair daily can be incredibly drying. But if your hair is like mine and needs a little water to bring the curls out – keep a spray bottle handy and spray as you style your hair.
- Tame the frizz with a serum or natural oil. While your curly hair is beautiful, I know how easy it is to go from curls to frizz. Apply a serum to your hair, or natural oils like argan oil.
Your weekly curl care routine
Once you have got your daily curl care routine in place; you should make sure that the following routine happens at least once a week.
- Use shampoo just once a week. To keep your curls in the best condition your scalp will produce natural oils – over-shampooing your hair can strip these away. So limit your washes!
- Dry your hair with the right materials. I use an old tee shirt to dry my curls and NEVER let a towel touch my hair. Towels are way too, rough, so stick with a soft cotton or a soft microfiber towel.
- Apply an after-shower cream. I’ve found a number of products are available on the market for curly hair. After I shirt-dry my hair, I apply a glob of leave-in moisturizer.
Your monthly curl care routine
As well as using the above guides to create a daily and weekly curl care routine; there are a few things you should also do each month.
- Give your curls a little extra love with a monthly hair mask. Although some people may not think this is essential, I think it is a great way to keep your hair healthy and looking its best.
What to avoid when caring for curls
While we all have habits ingrained, there are a few things you should stop doing if they are apart of your routine.
- Don’t brush your hair every day. Brushing or combing your hair can cause some serious frizz and even pull out your hair. I limit brushing my hair to a couple of days a week, and finger detangle most days.
- Skip the sulfates. Ingredients are important – you’re doing your hair a disservice if you’re using products with sulfate, parabens, silicone, phthalates. So get rid of those and stick with natural ingredients.
From using coconut oil to condition your hair to only shampooing once a week there are so many easy ways to take care of your hair so your curls are at their best. I hope my guide to daily, weekly, and monthly curl care can help you keep your curls healthy and looking fabulous!