I went to the dollar store the other day to pick up some sponges and left with a few black baskets that were calling my name. What would I do with these? At the time I didn’t know but, hey, for a dollar I couldn’t resist. Once home, I looked around and decided the baskets had a few uses around the home. Before putting them out though, I decided to spruce them up so they’d match our decor.
Our home is a warm little space with a lot of light colored wood, a tan couch, and a bit of black thrown in as accents. So for the black baskets, I thought they needed a bit more warmth to them.
adding texture to the Baskets
I used tan yarn to enhance the baskets. I did this by wrapping the handle with the yarn and leaving the rest of the basket as is. I think this small update does a lot for the baskets. I set one basket on top of my craft cabinet that’s starting to get a little too packed. And it’s kind of perfect that I ended up storing yarn in the baskets! Goes perfectly.
- Yarn or twine
- Hot glue gun
Quick update steps
- I started by taking off the handles so I could easily wrap the yarn
- Apply a small amount of hot glue to one end
- Stick the loose end of your yarn in the glue and make sure is nice and secure
- Wrap yarn around the handle. You want to make sure you’re wrapping tightly so there is no slack
- I also dabbed little globs of hot glue every few inches to make sure everything stays in place.
- Once you get to the other end, cut your yarn then glue down to the handle
- Put your handle back on the basket, and you’re done!
save this diy for later