Like so many, I’ve been updating my apartment to make my time at home more comfortable and organized. My living room does triple duty as the space I work, lounge, and eat so it’s important that my storage is both functional and stylish. I decided to go with the SVALNÄS system, a wall-mounted shelving system at Ikea to hold plants, books, and decor.
The Ikea Svalnas system is perfect for so many different spaces because it is so neutral and streamlined. I love how it looks on the walls – especially in offices and living rooms. A fully installed system elevates a room so nicely!
The system is soo customizable also! For my unit, I used three base rods, cutting one shorter than the other two in order to create two lengths and allow my sofa to nestle in under the shelving.
- 3 x Base Rod
- 4 x Narrow Shelf (24” width)
- 2 x Deep Shelf (24” width)
Here’s what I did
- Map out design. There are endless ways to build your shelves! Before jumping in, you should have an idea of how many shelves and rows you’ll have.
- Trim to size (optional). I used a jigsaw to cut my third rod to my desired height. I knew I wanted one side of the shelf to be shorter than the other, so I measured and cut this piece before getting started.
- Install wall rods. I hired a TaskRabbit to install the 3 rods to the wall. Based on the reviews I saw, it takes precision to line up the wall rods accurately and to ensure it lasts, I went with an expert. We used extra sturdy drywall anchors to secure the rods.
- Attach shelves to base rods. The system is super flexible, so I spent some time adjusting the shelves until I found the exact look I wanted.
- Style shelves. Last, I styled the shelves with my plants and some decor!
I placed the wider shelves lower on the unit and the narrow shelves for the top.
Anybody who knows me knows I love a good plant shelfie! I’ve had so much fun styling my new shelves and am excited to keep my shelves This wall-mounted unit gives me more shelves without a ton of bulky furniture – perfect for my tiny apartment!
For more on my plants, decor, and current books, check out Plant Shelfie Details for the complete list.